Lanzhou

Lanzhou
Chinese New Year '10

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dear Teacher, what is like to fall in love?

This is the question I got tonight folks.  After watching a sweet romantic comedy, "Dan in Real Life," with Steve Carell, my students were full of questions about love.  One girl asked me what it was like.  She's 21. This girl is 21 and she's never known what feels like to love someone, or at least really like them.  She said she only knew it in her imagination.  Wow.  It was hard to know where to start. 

Of the six students who came over to my apartment to watch the movie, two of them have recently fallen in love with each other.  One of the other students asked me to give them advice--Edward and Bella (that's not their real names) have fallen in love.  Can you give them some advices?"  That was the question.  The same boy who asked this question also confessed to "loving" a girl (to us it's like having a crush on someone) and didn't want to tell her.  "Why not?"  I asked, thinking you're a sophomore in college, this is a great time for you to fall in love.  "Because I have to get ready for the TEM-4 examination and I want to focus on that.  I don't care about it anymore.  I'm just going to give it up."  (sidenote--the TEM4 is the test all english majors have to take in their 4th semester of college.  Passing this exam makes it easier to get a job in the future).  I couldn't believe his answer but in a way I wasn't surprised.  It was very Chinese of him to say this.  College students in China are so different from college students in America!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting a blog! I'll enjoy hearing about your experiences and seeing pictures in this way. Love & miss you! Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. reasonable but a bit blurred.

    As far as the youth are concerned, there are huge difference all over the country as the days go.

    After you go to Lanzhou from Changchun, you update your image on China. Maybe, you would be shocked by another new sense of the youth when you get to those several so-called big city.

    I just think this is China's charm besides her old history, especially for a foreigner who is living in China.

    Well, hope that you can share your more understanding on China, which really make me renew my viewpoint.

    take care!

    Bill Shi

    ReplyDelete